Praxis II Middle School English Language Arts (5047) Examination Ideas
- Praxis II Middle School: Content Knowledge (5146) Examination InformationPraxis II Middle School: Content Knowledge (5146) Examination Information
Praxis II Middle School: Content Knowledge (5146) Exam Study Guide The Educational Testing Service...
- Praxis II Middle School: Mathematics (5169) Subject AssessmentsPraxis II Middle School: Mathematics (5169) Subject Assessments
Praxis II Middle School Mathematics (5169) Exam General Information The Middle School Mathematics...
- Praxis II Middle School: Science (5440) Examination FormatPraxis II Middle School: Science (5440) Examination Format
Praxis II Middle School Science (5440) Exam General Information The Middle School Science test is...
- Praxis II Middle School: Social Studies (5089) Test SyllabusPraxis II Middle School: Social Studies (5089) Test Syllabus
Praxis II Middle School Social Studies (5089) Exam General Information The Middle School: Social Studies...
Praxis II Middle School: English Language Arts (5047) Exam General Information
The Middle School English Language Arts test measures whether prospective middle school English language arts teachers have the knowledge, skills, and abilities believed necessary for competent professional practice. The test is aligned to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for English Language Arts and informed by the Early Adolescence/English Language Arts Standards from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) and by the Standards for Initial Preparation of Teachers of Secondary English Language Arts, developed by the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). It measures examinees’ skills and knowledge of concepts relevant to four content categories: reading, including the study of literature (e.g., stories, drama, and poetry) and informational texts (e.g., essays, biographies, and speeches); use of the English language, including conventions of standard English and vocabulary development; writing, speaking, and listening; and English language arts instruction.
Praxis II Middle School: English Language Arts (5047) Examination Format
Most of the 110 selected-response questions, which will address all four of the content categories, are traditional four-option selected-response questions with one correct answer. However, some innovative question types are also used. Examples include the following:
- multiple-selection multiple-choice questions, which have five or more options and one or more correct answers
- order/match questions, in which you categorize words or phrases by dragging them from a list into the appropriate boxes
- audio or video stimulus questions, in which you respond to a short audio or video clip instead of, or in addition to, a written passage
- table/grid questions, in which you click on a box or boxes in a grid to select your answer(s)
- select-in-passage questions, in which you choose your answer by clicking on a section of a passage to highlight it
The two constructed-response (CR) questions, or short essays, also address the first and fourth content categories, reading and English language arts instruction. The first CR question asks you to interpret a piece of literature or informational text; the second asks you to discuss approaches to teaching reading or writing, given a particular student writing sample or classroom context.
This test may contain some questions that will not count toward your score.
Examination Coverage with its Approximate Number of Questions and Percentage
The Praxis II Middle School: English Language Arts (5047) Exam covers:
Reading – 50 selected-response questions and 1 constructed-response questions (46%)
- General Knowledge
- Informational Texts and Rhetoric
Language Use and Vocabulary -16 selected-response questions (11%)
Writing, Speaking, and Listening – 26 selected-response questions (18%)
English Language Arts Instruction – 18 selected-response questions and 1 constructed-response questions (25%)
Question 1: Textual Interpretation
- Stimulus - The stimulus for the literary analysis question will consist of a selection of prose (fiction or nonfiction) OR poetry (a whole short poem or an excerpt from a longer work).
- Describe and give examples of the use of one or two specified literary element(s) present in the stimulus: e.g., metaphor, simile, voice, narrative point of view, tone, style, setting, diction, mood, allusion, irony, cliche, analogy, hyperbole, personification, alliteration, foreshadowing
- Discuss how the author’s use of the literary element(s) contributes to the overall meaning and/or effectiveness of the text
- Question 2: Teaching Reading/Writing
- Stimulus - The stimulus for the teaching reading/writing question will consist of a piece of student work OR a classroom situation.
- Analyze a piece of student work or a classroom situation to determine strengths and/or weaknesses.
- Describe an instructional activity referencing the identified strengths and/or weaknesses
Alternative Help from Praxis II Subject Matter Experts
In addition to study test prep tools that you find on StudyGuide.NET you can also get help from an online or local tutor. Tutoring Services, LLC is helping educators and future teachers get help from other subject matter experts and help educators prepare for Praxis II exam. TutoringServices.com offers flexibility for Michigan state educators to find a tutor, locally or online, contact tutor and get help. This is a recommend option for students, and best of all site doesn't even charge any tutoring agency comission fee like other agencies do. So what are you waiting for? Find a Tutor today!
Let our Local/Online Tutors Help you Prepare for Your Examination.
Self review is not the only option in preparing for your upcoming exam. Find local and online tutors to help you in preparing your exam.
This online tutoring site can also be beneficial to all educators who would like to make money helping other educators, prepare for the test, by allowing them to register free of charge and advertise themselves as independent tutors, helping other educators in test preparation as well as helping students in k-12, colleges and universities with homework help and academic subjects tutoring and test prep. Registration is FREE.
How to View and Search for Praxis II Exam Study Guides
On the bottom part of this page you will see lists of mttc test study guides, to help you review and prepare for your examination. Change the default menu for Show into desired number of items you wanted to view. Also along side with each study guides there is a button called “Buy Now”, click it for each reviewer you wanted to obtain.Sort by:Show:
- Praxis II Middle School: Mathematics (5169) Subject Assessments